Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The reason I will never Twitter

Last week, Time magazine ran a feature titled How Twitter Will Change the Way We Live.

I doubt I'll ever be a Twitterer. Nothing against those who Twitter, but I know the stuff that goes on in my head... I can't imagine people would want to hear it on a moment-by-moment basis.

Need proof? On a typical Saturday, my "tweets" would probably go something like this:

9:30 am - Bagel. Peanut butter. Coffee. Crossword puzzle. Saturday!
9:45 am - Favorite free pen out of ink on the crossword puzzle. Time to donate blood again!
11:00 am - Putting on overalls to work outside. Feel like I should change my name to Cletus.
11:01 am - The fetching ensemble is made complete with a Gumby-green t-shirt, circa 1988.
11:15 am - In front yard planting, weeding, and singing an old Bangles song. Must be the t-shirt.
11:16 am - Hope the neighbors appreciate my fashion statement. And the free concert.
11:17 am - I should start a band of middle-aged women. We could be The Hot Flashes.
1:15 pm - Back inside for iced tea and another shot at that crossword puzzle.
2:35 pm - Cleaned up & going to a matinee.
2:36 pm - Why is an afternoon movie called a matinee? Doesn't matins mean morning?
5:15 pm - Who'd have guessed "Ed Asner" and "animated feature" would ever be used together?
5:16 pm - Or that the movie thus described would require so much Kleenex?
5:40 pm - Home to fire up the grill for dinner.
6:45 pm - Burgers. Red potatoes. Asparagus. Scrabble. Saturday!

See? It's probably a good thing I won't be twittering.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't "get" Twitter for a long time. It's not so much for status updates, even though the question is "What are you doing?" It's evolved way beyond that. It's become a pretty powerful form of networking.

    You can follow people with similar interests and exchange links to learn more about your common passion. A lot of people will post to Twitter when they blog...similar to what you just did with Facebook. It brings traffic to their site.

    As for a business tool, which is how I prefer to use it, you are able to connect with people who may be able to help you--or you may be able to help them.

    I really didn't get it until I attended a "Twitter party". If you visit www.resourcefulmommy.blogspot.com/search/label/Sitewarmings you can sign up for one. Then, when the party is happening, you type the hastag (label for the party) into www.tweetchat.com to converse with just the people in the party. There are usually prizes and such, too.

    After I tried this, I really "got it". And, just like Facebook, it can become very addicting. I think there is room in cyberspace for both, though. They serve different purposes. FB is more "personal"...you share pictures, notes, chat, etc. I use FB for personal and Twitter more for business connections (like Linked In on steroids). I really don't think one will overtake the other.

    Sorry I got long-winded. :o) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha....Your hypothetical tweets are a lot more amusing than many real tweets I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admit it, Meredith... you just want me to change my name to Cletus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would follow your daily tweets!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.