Thursday, June 04, 2009

Tienanmen + 20

I'll admit I've had a hard time knowing how to react to China's involvement in the U.S. economy.

I don't pretend to be especially politically savvy, but I live in the state hit hardest by unemployment during the current economic downturn. With auto manufacturers being parted out to foreign interests, it looks like things will get worse in Michigan before they get better.

China already holds the largest share of our national debt. With GM's recent decision to sell Hummer to a Chinese company, the U.S. appears to be deepening its entanglement with a country whose human rights violations are legendary.

And speaking of human rights violations... today marks the 20th anniversary of the Tienanmen Square massacre.

As I battle feelings of outrage at the past and fear for the future, I struggle to remember that God is bigger – bigger than economic strife, bigger than the national debt, bigger than the U.S., bigger than China. Bigger than all of it. And bigger than my outrage and fear.

My advisor at GRTS puts it this way:

...we must not put our hope in any earthly movement or method. No protest or democracy drive or economic system can deliver the goods. Our only comfort, as the Heidelberg Catechism says, is that we belong—body and soul, in life and in death, to our faithful Savior Jesus Christ. (Full post here.)

Thanks, Mike. That was exactly the reminder I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.