Friday, December 11, 2009

7 Quick Takes: Volume 2


Last week, I tried my hand at a 7 Quick Takes post. Let me know in the comments if you like this feature enough to see it every Friday.

(The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.)

---1---

I’m realizing how many of my post titles are taken from songs. Not that there’s anything wrong with that… but I wonder, is it a cop-out? Or does it make a nice lead-in to the post?

Your opinions are welcome.

---2---

A couple of weeks ago was the anniversary of the death of C.S. Lewis. He died a week shy of his 65th birthday, on Nov. 22, 1963.

Most people are astounded when they learn that Lewis died on the same day as John F. Kennedy. I know I was.

It’s been said that Lewis was a very private man who didn’t want a big fuss made over his death, so the fact that media attention was elsewhere would have suited him.

---3---

I considered posting to mark the anniversary of Lewis’ death. (Is there a less cumbersome way to express that? Deathday — too morbid. Death anniversary? Yikes.)

Two things stood in the way of that (or any) blog post that week: first, a school project and exam prep for the final week of my addictions class (see take #7 here); second, extra rehearsals and the annual concert of the community choir I sing with. The performance fell on the anniversary itself.

Blogging definitely takes a back seat with all that going on, but I feel bad not to have acknowledged the date, since C.S. Lewis is probably my favorite author of all time. I hope to do better next year.

---4---

Tonight and tomorrow, I’m participating in my church’s Christmas program. It’s set up as a dessert theatre, and the production includes seven songs with the main choir, as well as several solo and ensemble pieces. It’s intended as an outreach, and I’m praying people will see and hear the real Person who is Christmas. (And I don’t mean Santa.)

---5---

Prior to the main part of the program, our small a capella group will be dressed in Victorian-era costumes, portraying Dickens carolers, roaming from table to table, singing for the guests in each part of the room. We’ll be singing contemporary arrangements of traditional carols.

For some reason, I'm finding it very amusing to sing a 21st century arrangement of an 18th century carol while wearing a 19th century outfit.

---6---

If you’ve been reading this blog for long, you know I have issues about poor punctuation. (If you know me personally, you know I could have ended that sentence before the final phrase.)

I will confess to a fondness for all things spelling- and grammar-related. (Note: I do not claim to be perfect at it.)

Of my (many) pet peeves, homonym misuse is near the top. I’ve even thought of launching a Web site that would guide visitors through their homonym confusion.

(I mean, come on, people… my Slovak friend figured out the difference between threw and through; surely a native English-speaker can get the difference between sight and site.)

---7---

One great thing about reading people’s blogs is this: I get to develop tolerance. Every time I see someone use it’s when they mean its (or vice-versa), I get a chance to take a deep breath and demonstrate grace by not blasting that person in the comments.

Although maybe I'm not growing as much as I think I am. To quote one of my favorite bloggers, Jon Acuff, “If you make a point of telling someone you ‘took the high road’ in a situation, you're probably already off it.”

~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. LOVE #7!!!! I am definitely guilty of that.

    Oh, and about #1-- I like the song title lead-in. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one who lives to theme music. ;)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.