Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happy Holidays...

Have you ever wondered what the connection is between Hanukkah and Christmas?

"OK, Pam," you're thinking, "I'll play along. Let's see... they're both December holidays that involve candles and gifts."

Yes, excellent observations. Thanks for humoring me.

Of course, because of my Jewish heritage (my dad's side), I come to this question with perhaps more interest than the typical Christian. And still, I'm just discovering the connections myself.

I'll give you a few hints:

Redemption.

Sacrifice.

Faithfulness.

This year, Hanukkah is celebrated from sundown Dec. 11 through nightfall Dec. 19. May I challenge you, during this season of celebration, to find out a little more about the link between these two holidays?

Here are a couple of articles to help out:

Do They Know It's Hanukkah? Christianity Today
No Hanukkah, No Christmas Chosen People Ministries

Happy Holidays. And I truly mean that.

~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam! I didn't know you had a blog! Wow, I knew the basic story of Hanukkah, but I never really realized that once again God preserved His people. That second article was especially good.
    I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.