Wednesday, December 09, 2009

I need a little Christmas

I've had a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. It's been a rough year in some ways, and I'm just not feeling it.

Not feeling like decorating, shopping, baking, putting up a tree... nothing. (That beautiful wreath-decked door in the picture? Someone else's house.)

Even my bright red sweatshirt — screenprinted with Mickey Mouse wearing a Santa hat — isn't doing it for me.

(Yes, I am that woman — the one who wears something seasonally appropriate every day from Thanksgiving through Christmas. Or at least, I was once. The sweatshirt is a souvenir of those days.)

In the movie One Magic Christmas, the main character is a woman so discouraged and beaten down by her circumstances that she can't even bring herself to wish "Merry Christmas" to those around her.

It's a twist on the It's a Wonderful Life story. Unlike George Bailey, who got a chance to see what things would have been like for others if he'd never been born, Ginny Grainger gets a chance to see what life would be like for her without those she loves. Just like George, Ginny's outlook changes, even though her situation doesn't.

George's attitude adjustment came courtesy of an angel named Clarence, a man who died in the 19th century and had been awaiting his wings ever since. Ginny is also visited by an angel, a cowhand from the old West who drowned while rescuing a child.

When I watch movies like this, I wonder: where did we get this idea that angels are actually people who've died? Every Bible passage about angels is clear they are a creation entirely separate and different from human beings. Yet the myth persists.

Obviously, screenwriters are taking their cues from somewhere other than Scripture.

Oh.

And just like that, I have the solution to my problem.

I think I'll go read Luke 2.

~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Run to scripture, my friend. It holds the REAL reason we celebrate this holiday.

    In all honesty, I am not a very traditional soul. I'm not a fan of the presents, the music, the expectations. Give me family, give me friends, give me Jesus- and I'm happy.

    Run to Him... and get back to the basics of the season, friend. You don't need all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pam,

    Thanks for being vulnerable, even though it's tough to communicate your frustrations.

    I think it's important to keep in mind that "the Christmas spirit" is not comprised of all the external signs people use as a gauge to measure your cheeriness. A true understanding of the importance of Christmas brings a deeper joy that may not necessarily manifest itself in a Mickey Mouse sweater or wreaths or endless cups of cocoa and tree trimmings.

    I feel a real sense of Christmas-- the reason Christ became flesh-- every time I see and talk to you. It's an awareness you have of who Christ is that transcends your discouragement.

    So, please don't feel the need to fake it if you're not always feeling cheery. That's not what real joy is. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.