Friday, January 29, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 5



(The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.)

---1---

Last Friday, I skipped 7 Quick Takes in favor of a special post marking the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. In that post, I referred to my shift in worldview without defining the word.

Since then, I ran across a short video where author Glenn Sunshine (isn't that the greatest name?) gives a nice, concise definition of worldview. He likens it to a pair of glasses, saying your worldview is "what you use mentally to bring the world into focus, to help you understand your place in it." What you think of his definition? Is the analogy helpful? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

---2---

Lately I've been feeling like I should really try getting steadily involved in some winter sport. (I did a little skating as a kid, and I skiied when I was around 19. Once. It was comical.) But for the past fifteen years I've been living in a state that does winter extremely well (and by "well," I mean "long," as well as "cold," "snowy," and "grey"). I figure if I had a reason to enjoy all that wintry whiteness out there in the outdoors, it might make me look forward to the first five months of the year... or at least make them pass more quickly.

So I was thinking of trying skiing again. Until I read this post from Shannon.

Maybe my ideal winter sport involves a pair of knitting needles rather than a pair of skis.

---3---

If you were hoping I was done writing about A Christmas Carol... sorry. Last weekend my husband and I saw the new Disney version of A Christmas Carol. Friends, that means blog fodder.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that after reading the Dickens story for the first time, I understood why every movie version renders the Ghost of Christmas Past differently, while the other spirits are more or less the same from film to film. Here's how Dickens describes that spirit:
It was a strange figure — like a child: yet not so like a child as like an old man, viewed through some supernatural medium, which gave him the appearance of having receded from the view, and being diminished to a child's proportions. Its hair, which hung about its neck and down its back, was white as if with age; and yet the face had not a wrinkle in it, and the tenderest bloom was on the skin. The arms were very long and muscular; the hands the same, as if its hold were of uncommon strength. Its legs and feet, most delicately formed, were, like those upper members, bare. It wore a tunic of the purest white, and round its waist was bound a lustrous belt, the sheen of which was beautiful. It held a branch of fresh green holly in its hand; and, in singular contradiction of that wintry emblem, had its dress trimmed with summer flowers. But the strangest thing about it was, that from the crown of its head there sprung a bright clear jet of light, by which all this was visible; and which was doubtless the occasion of its using, in its duller moments, a great extinguisher for a cap, which it now held under its arm.

Even this, though, when Scrooge looked at it with increasing steadiness, was not its strangest quality. For as its belt sparkled and glittered now in one part and now in another, and what was light one instant, at another time was dark, so the figure itself fluctuated in its distinctness: being now a thing with one arm, now with one leg, now with twenty legs, now a pair of legs without a head, now a head without a body: of which dissolving parts, no outline would be visible in the dense gloom wherein they melted away. And in the very wonder of this, it would be itself again; distinct and clear as ever.
For the Disney version, Bob Zemeckis seems to have done his homework. Although he took a few liberties with the story, he stayed pretty close to the original. And his version of the Ghost of Christmas Past looks very close to the bizarre apparition Dickens describes. Minus the "dissolving parts," thankfully.

(I'd still recommend reading the original story. Here's an online version I ran across.)

---4---

A few days ago I got my first iPod. I know I'm way behind the curve here, but I couldn't see myself using an mp3 player enough to justify the expense. When a friend received an iTouch as a Christmas gift, he passed along his Nano, which had been passed along to him by the original owner. So I'm now the third generation owner of a second generation iPod.

The main reason I wanted an iPod was so that I could listen through the Bible while walking. I found a free source for the Bible in mp3 format, and within a few minutes Genesis was loaded into the player. Last week, I began taking my new little companion walking. My 25-minute circuit through the neighborhood goes amazingly quickly as I listen through seven or eight chapters.

---5---

And speaking of Apple products... this week, the company unveiled their much-awaited tablet, the iPad. And all over the web, women banged their heads on their desks.

---6---

Tonight I'll be attending a fundraiser concert in Detroit, featuring the musical artistry of John Tesh.

The concert is a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the organization my husband works for, and I'll be helping out by greeting and directing as people arrive for the event. I'm not a huge fan of John Tesh, although we have one or two of his CDs. To me, his music is kinda backgroundy and unremarkable. But I'm open to having my opinion changed.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a quick getaway. Even if we don't get to see my favorite feature of that city (see pic).

---7---

I'll wrap up with this cool little video. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.