Monday, January 04, 2010

Amazing Grace, now with extra gusto on line four

Eight years ago, I had eye surgery. LASIK, to be precise.

If you were thinking "eyelift," it's only because you don't know me well enough. Or my budget. Or the naturally flawless state of the skin around my eyes. (Heh.)

If you've been thinking about LASIK, blogger Shannon Lowe's post on her LASIK experience offers a witty and accurate description. And she warns you ahead of time if you're squeamish and you need to bail before things get too accurate.

After reading Shannon's post, I can add a hearty "me, too" — even eight years later, I have superhero vision. (Well, except for the x-ray part.)

Before I went for the surgery, I did a little cost-benefit analysis. (Yes, I'm that big of a geek.) I figured with what I was paying for contacts and solutions, my surgery would pay for itself in about four years. So it's paid for itself twice over so far.

But the really cool thing is, I can see! First thing in the morning, I can see the numbers on the clock across the room. While driving, I can see signs from far away. Before the surgery, I couldn't be trusted behind the wheel without serious corrective lenses. (Truth be told, I could barely be trusted to walk down the driveway to get the mail.)

Now, when I'm at Target, I pass right by the contact solution aisle without a thought. I don't think about how old my lenses are or if it's time to change them. Perhaps most freeing, when packing for a trip, I don't have to devote suitcase space to contact lens supplies.

Thanks again, Dr. Bearie and Dr. Gammage! Amazing Grace is now, quite literally, true for me!

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.