Friday, January 08, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is my dad's 80th birthday.


In his honor, I've made a list of 80 things — not an exhaustive list, by any means — just 80 gifts I’m grateful for:
  1. For his love of music…
  2. especially classical…
  3. and jazz.
  4. For his talent for making music, both instrumental…
  5. and vocal.
  6. For piano lessons.
  7. And violin lessons.
  8. And flute lessons.
  9. And for the piano,
  10. the violin,
  11. and the flute.
  12. Oh, and the recorder.
  13. For being a supportive band & choir parent…
  14. attending concerts…
  15. shuttling me around at odd hours…
  16. and buying various fundraising stuff.

  17. For the roller skates…
  18. and the ice skates…
  19. and the tennis racquet…
  20. and for teaching me how to use them.
  21. For his love of reading…
  22. and of writing.
  23. For his love of the classroom…
  24. of learning…
  25. of teaching…
  26. and of students.
  27. For his love of words…
  28. in English…
  29. in Yiddish…
  30. in German…
  31. in Spanish…
  32. in French…
  33. in Italian…
  34. in Hawaiian…
  35. in Xosa…
  36. and in every other language on the planet.
  37. For insisting on good grammar.
  38. For reading me stories.
  39. For poetry.
  40. For taking me to operas…
  41. and to plays…
  42. and to musicals…
  43. even to Jesus Christ Superstar, multiple times, just because I asked.
  44. For being willing to listen to my music,
  45. even the stuff he didn’t like at all.
  46. For his love of travel…
  47. and his adventurous spirit.
  48. For the multicultural experiences, both stateside and abroad...
  49. including several months in Europe…
  50. and assorted trips to Mexico.
  51. For piloting many family vacations.
  52. For his heritage…
  53. and his family stories...
  54. and for being willing to share even those stories where he’s the punchline.
  55. For his eye color (which now looks back at me from the face of my son).
  56. For his skin (which I didn't appreciate at 17, but I do now, as it has kept me a relative stranger to the aisle of Olay).
  57. For his quick wit…
  58. and his sense of humor…
  59. even for the puns.
  60. For a fully paid-for college education.
  61. For his love of gardens.
  62. For his grilling ability.
  63. For his love of peanuts and spicy food.
  64. For his courage…
  65. and his willingness to try new things.
  66. For insisting we call something "different" instead of "weird."
  67. For introducing me to foreign films…
  68. and the Marx Brothers.
  69. For his creativity.
  70. For his tenacity.
  71. For his flexibility.
  72. For letting me dance on his feet when I was tiny…
  73. and showing me how to jitterbug when I was older.
  74. For teaching me how to ride a bike…
  75. and drive a car...
  76. and for letting me drive to school while he biked to work.
  77. For his willingness to be a single father to two teenage girls.
  78. For walking me down the aisle.
  79. For his love for his grandson.
  80. For life. 
Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you!
Mazel tov!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great tribute! I didn't know all those things about your dad. That's really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.