Friday, March 12, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 8


(The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.)


Today's episode of 7 Quick Takes could be titled "A Few of My Favorite Things." And it has nothing to do with raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

---1---

If you're not familiar with Jessica Hagy's popular blog Indexed, you need to be. She draws graphs that will make you chuckle. Here's yesterday's, titled Fantasy League:



(I highly doubt a yeti could beat a centaur, but whatever.)

---2---

Another of my favorite giggle-inducing blogs is Cake Wrecks. If you liked The Twilight Zone, you'll appreciate Wednesday's post.

---3---

Of course, Jon Acuff's Stuff Christians Like is a great humor blog. Even his "Serious Wednesday" posts are filled with irony, so the "serious" part sorta sneaks up on you. Check out the most recent one and see if you don't agree.

---4---

This post from Antique Mommy has everything: humor, drama, suspense, love, blood, and an indestructible camera.

---5---

A few months ago, I discovered Pandora, the music site where you choose an artist and it finds and plays music similar to that artist's. Except when it doesn't. (For example, if I select any artist from the 70s or 80s, Pandora really wants me to listen to Fleetwood Mac. Sometimes it gets insistent on this point. But the Fleetwood Mac songs I like are very few, and they all have one thing in common: Stevie Nicks is not singing.)

More recently, a friend of my son's told me about Grooveshark. It's another music site where you choose the artist and songs you want to hear, and... it plays them! You can make your own mix, as narrow or diverse as you want.

Also, Pandora allows you 30 free hours per month; Grooveshark is completely free, indefinitely. (Both sites are ad-supported, or you can pay a small monthly fee to have the ads removed.)

Of course, it's nice being introduced to new music and new artists, so I'm not completely dumping Pandora. And Grooveshark doesn't give you lyrics and info on the album and the artist like Pandora does.

But sometimes, I'd like to listen to Jackson Browne without having to go through a Landslide. For those times, I'll choose Grooveshark.

---6---

It's been 28 years since TRON came out. We watched it again a few weeks ago, and the effects are still amazing — truly ahead of its time. Disney is releasing its sequel, Tron Legacy, late this year. Check out the two trailers.

---7---

And I think I need this print from MadeByGirl:


~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.