Friday, March 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 9


(The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.)

This week has been filled with occasions to celebrate!

---1---

First, on Sunday, there was Pi Day.
Evidently this is a big thing among the geeky.

Yes, I count myself a part of that group, but I think I may need to turn in my membership card. Although I've memorized my 14-digit library card number, I have memorized pi only to the fifth decimal place. (Oh, the shame...)

As a former math tutor, I'm surprised I didn't know about this day until now. Back in my tutoring days, whenever I was helping a geometry student learn the formula for the area of a circle (πr²), I would tell them my pi joke:

Pie are not square.
Pie are round.
Cornbread are square!


(It helps to read it with a hick accent. It doesn't make it any funnier, but it sounds a little more believable.)

---2---

Monday was the Ides of March. Probably not a day that Julius Caesar celebrated, but a good day to read or recite Mark Antony's Friends, Romans, countrymen speech. Shakespeare had a great gift for irony (for Brutus is an honorable man!).

---3---

Tuesday was my birthday. I'm not telling you that to get presents. (OK, maybe I am.)

It was also the birthday of Erik Estrada, Jerry Lewis, Pat Nixon, and James Madison. And my mom. (I was her 30th birthday present!)

This isn't a big landmark year for me or anything, so there were no flamingos (or buzzards) in the lawn. But I'm not sure how much longer I can keep telling people I'm 31. Sooner or later, my 24-year-old son is going to spill the beans.

As it does every year, my birthday fell smack dab in between the Ides and...

---4---

St. Patrick's Day, Wednesday. Since I just did a post on St. Patrick, I won't talk about my wearing green by mistake that day and not realizing it until I went for a haircut in the afternoon and my stylist commented on it.

But I will tell you that we celebrated by mailing in our census form. (You may now be jealous of my exciting life.) It made me think of the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou?:

"My daddy taught me how to shoot!... I nicked the census man!"
"There's a good boy... is yer daddy about?"

(Now that you've got Delmar's accent in your head, you might want to go back up to take #1 and re-read the pi joke.)

---5---

Interestingly enough, the mallard pair that visits us every year chose Wednesday to return for their annual early spring vacation in our little fishpond. Of course, because we're a small family, we had several blank lines on our census form, so I suggested we add the ducks. (Yes, they have names. Because they come back every year, that's why.)

My husband's response: "They don't live in the house."

---6---

And speaking of celebrations, how about a wedding? On Thursday, a friend posted this awesome video on Facebook:



Fellow Princess Bride fans, did you catch the quote?

---7---

Today and Saturday, I'm attending class. It's the last weekend of my second course toward my addictions counselor certification (see take #7 here). This is the class with the eight-pound book. And let me just say, there will be much celebrating when it's done.

It probably won't involve any addictive substances.

But maybe there will be π.

~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. It's funny you mentioned the Ides of March and Julius Caesar, because (and I forgot to mention this)... the movie "Orson Welles and Me" was all about Orson's theater production group putting together the play "Julius Caesar" by Shakespeare. Orson Welles played Brutus. So I actually heard the "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you're right on top of things!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.