Friday, July 09, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 11



(The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.)

---1---

Hello, friends! My apologies for the long blogging break.

Perhaps a video of an adorable talking dog will get me back in your good graces?



---2---

This weekend, I'll begin another class toward my addiction certification. (That designation is too awkward to leave unexplained — I mean, addiction counseling certification — yet too amusing to leave out.)

Saturday also happens to be the birthday of someone near and dear (and I don't mean John Calvin).

In preparation for the first, I've been doing a bunch of reading, which I won't bore you with.

But in preparation for the second, I'm making moussaka. (Which of course makes me think of this movie, especially one specific line.)

---3---

This weekend is also the World Cup finals. I, for one, will not be sad to see the reign of terror come to an end.

I'm speaking, of course, of the vuvuzela.



---4---

What's that? You say you haven't heard enough vuvuzela? You've grown fond of that giant-swarm-of-killer-bees vibe, and you'd like to see the instrument's popularity grow to include other venues?

Well, then... here you go:



---5---

It took a while, but last weekend we finished planting our veggie garden. (Mostly. It's a process, people.) There's nothing like a salad made with tomatoes that were on the vine just five minutes earlier.

We also joined a CSA farm again this year. As always, I'm hoping for a bumper crop, along with the time and energy to deal with the harvest.

One thing I'll probably never grow: square watermelons.


---6---

But tomato season is nearly here! And because I can never remember the difference:


---7---

'Til next time... bye-bye!



~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. 1) Are those square watermelons for REAL???

    2) The Vuvuzela is INCREDIBLY annoying. But I didn't have to listen to it, because I didn't watch the World Cup at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Yes. Nice and practical for shipping.

    2) Agreed. We had some college people over for the final game, and I told them they could only come if they brought a vuvuzela (or equivalent, e.g., kazoo, trumpet mouthpiece, etc.). Thankfully, they all understood my craziness and left their kazoos at home.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.