Thursday, July 22, 2010

Putting lipstick on a (carcinogenic) pig

Cosmoxins? Toxetics?
I've posted briefly on women's pursuit of beauty, and another post or two on the subject are in the works.

Most of my rants insights have to do with the way the beauty industry markets its products to women, and how those marketing methods impact our psyche. I haven't focused too much on what's inside the bottle.

But yesterday, environmentalist Annie Leonard of The Story of Stuff Project released a new video entitled The Story of Cosmetics: The Ugly Truth of "Toxics In, Toxics Out" that talks about the toxic chemicals inside those bottles and tubes. It might make you run to your medicine cabinet and makeup bag to check the ingredient list.

(Or, if you're anything like me, it might just make you put your hands over your ears, close your eyes, and rock back and forth while singing, "la la la... I'm not listening!" You know, whatever works.)

At the very least, you'll admire the presentation technique. The animation is great.

Here's a teaser for The Story of Cosmetics:



Click here for the full video.
~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. I liked this video a lot... it's very helpful. But the narrator/actress' hand motions really bothered me... not very natural.

    That said, I'm interested in working harder to buy fewer harmful cosmetics/hair products. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought the same... until I realized she wasn't an actress but an environmentalist.

    And hey, you're already doing better than I am... you use Burt's Bees, which is probably lots better for you than my ChapStick.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.