Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Carefully taught

Sometimes, seemingly out of nowhere, I get a song stuck in my head.

I don't even need to hear the song to have it play over and over on my internal iPod. It's usually prompted by a conversation, something I've read, or a current event.

My latest earworm has been in my head for several days... since just before 9/11.

It's from the 1949 Rodgers & Hammerstein musical South Pacific*, but it's not Bali Ha'i or I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair.

It's You've Got To Be Carefully Taught, and it caused a bit of a stir when the musical toured the Southern states.

~~~~~

You've got to be taught to hate and fear,
You've got to be taught from year to year,
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!
You've got to be carefully taught.

~~~~~

*The musical, which is currently enjoying a revival, was based on James Michener's 1947 bestseller Tales of the South Pacific. It was first adapted for the big screen in 1958. A television version (starring Glenn Close and Harry Connick, Jr.) was released in 2001. The show is now being adapted for the big screen once more.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.