Friday, November 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 19



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.

---1---

When a counselor meets another counselor, two questions lead the conversation:
  1. Where do you work?
  2. What's your specialty?
At a conference, that formula gets repeated over and over, so even a socially awkward newbie (ahem) gets pretty polished at it. Or at least slightly less uncomfortable.

Here's an excerpt from a conversation that took place early in last weekend's MCA conference:

Female counselor (with many years more experience than I): "So, Pam, where do you work?"
Me (somewhat hesitantly): "I'm in private practice here in town..."
FC: "Good for you! What do you specialize in?"
Me: "I'm a generalist..."
FC: "Good girl!"

A few minutes later, that conversation was repeated, nearly verbatim, with another veteran female counselor.

Normally, a phrase like "good girl" would make me feel like Lassie, but I was so encouraged by their affirmations it was impossible to take offense.

---2---

Last week, I mentioned that I love keyboard shortcuts. It really is true... I didn't just say it so I could use the picture. (Though that would be reason enough.)

Here's an article from Microsoft that lists a whole passel of them.

---3---

A series of haikus about Spam. Number 10 is especially evocative.

---4---

Last week, I was driving one lane over from a Smart car.

photo credit: FreeFoto.com
Though we saw plenty of them in Italy, they're still somewhat of a novelty in our area of the U.S.

As I admired its quirky adorableness, the driver suddenly swerved in front of me, forcing me to throw out the anchor apply my brakes rather quickly in order to avoid a mishap.

I guess being a Smart driver doesn't make a person a smart driver.

---5---

And speaking of teeny-tiny cars:


Parallel Parking from Yum Yum London on Vimeo.

---6---

Melanie writes a post that will be appreciated by any parent who has ever loved a wisecracking child. (And let's just say I appreciated it very, very much.)

---7---

Here's a cool video from Make: magazine:




Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.