Tuesday, November 09, 2010

First rock from the sun

If you're a regular mosaicsynapse reader, you now know a bit about the statistics of this little corner of the blogosphere, thanks to the poem I posted several days ago.

But there's an odd little blogstat I feel the need to tell you about:

He can keep the rest of the outfit,
but those boots are kinda cool...
Someone evidently found this blog using the search term "mercury." This is especially mystifying, since I've never written anything about mercury. (OK, well, now I have.)

Was that person searching for information on the element? The planet? The Roman god? The Ford automobile? The first series of manned NASA missions? The late, great, lead singer of Queen? (Of all options, the last is the one the searcher would have been most likely to find here. If I had ever written on anything "mercury." Before today, I mean.)

So here's what I know about mercury:

  • It's hard to find a thermometer that contains mercury anymore.
  • When I was a kid, my brothers had a little vial that held a tiny amount of mercury, and they'd sometimes pour it out on a table and push it around. It was fascinating to watch... what? Oh, it's highly toxic? Oops...
  • I once heard that Mercury is both the hottest and the coldest planet in the solar system, because it rotates so slowly that the backside doesn't warm up. (Kinda like when you face the fireplace after you've been sledding.)
  • Mercury was the Romans' name for their version of the Greek god Hermes. He was one of Jupiter's (Zeus's) many offspring.
  • From Mercury's name, we get the English words having to do with the merchant trade (merchandise, mercantile), as well as the word mercurial; the Spanish word for Wednesday (Miércoles) also derives from his name.
  • Since Mercury was known for swiftness, I'm guessing the now-defunct Ford line and the NASA missions both took their names from the Roman god, rather than the element.
  • The element is also called "quicksilver."
  • Freddie Mercury was a tremendously talented singer, one of my favorites when I was a teenager. And here's an article with about a hundred things I didn't know about him.

Now, maybe the next person who happens upon this blog while searching for mercury will find something useful.

But I doubt it.

~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at your cold-butt fireplace analogy. And I love blog posts in list format. I did one today, too: http://rlizwatson.blogspot.com/2010/11/city-that-has-it-all.html

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.