Thursday, November 04, 2010

Made in Dagenham



Made in Dagenham is a dramatization of the 1968 strike at the Ford plant in Dagenham, England, where female workers walked out in protest of gender-based pay discrimination.

I learned about the movie from Elizabeth at Things Bright, who observes:

I think it's really great that so many people are re-exploring the Mad Men era and the decades surrounding it. I see it as this awakening realization that the amazing strides of the Civil and Equal Rights Movements are battles that still really need to be fought. I think one reason this flash-back, retro love is popular is not just the fashion and design, but because we still grapple with the same issues. It's just easier to explore these through a vintage lens.

I also think my generation recognizes that the freedoms won aren't fully realized. And they certainly aren't universal. The internet, more than ever, is helping everyone see that gaining some equal pay in our US/UK/EU factories isn't good enough if the factories then move to other countries and exploit other women instead.
The film is slated for release to limited U.S. cities on Nov. 19.

~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I never saw this post before. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.