Monday, November 01, 2010

NaNoWriMo: my own spin

If you know any creative-writer types, you probably know someone who is participating in NaNoWriMo.

It's a great (if slightly crazy) concept: write a 175-page novel in 30 days.

The exercise doesn't necessarily produce great prose, but it forces writers to just write, without the constant self-editing.

I know several people who participate annually. I sit in the stands (virtually speaking), cheering them on. I'm a writer, so I know how crippling self-editing can be. But I don't write fiction (at this point in my life, anyway), so NaNoWriMo is an event where I'm on the sidelines. (And these race metaphors are about as close as I get to competetive sports.)

But this year, I happened to read how Tim Challies got his blog off the ground by committing to write daily for a year:
October 31, 2003 was a pivotal day. I decided that day that I should get serious about this blogging thing and committed to either blogging every day for a year or giving up and getting rid of the site altogether. So I wrote an article on November 1, November 2, November 3…and before I knew it, it was a year later and I was still going.
And it occurred to me that I could commit to post every day in November.

It would be a shorter-term commitment than Challies' yearlong goal, so maybe more doable for someone who can be slightly attention-span challenged.

It would get me into the discipline of churning out content daily, without the continual going-over-with-a-finetooth-comb that I tend to do. (Maybe.)

And it would make me clean out my drafts folder, which is threatening to take over the (virtual) file drawer that houses it.

But it turns out there's already an annual event dedicated to forcing encouraging bloggers to post daily for a month: NaBloWriMo, which is October.

Sigh. Late to the party again.

But so what? The idea is to write. Get the words out.

So I'm doing it anyway — sticking out my chin a little defiantly, and flouncing off to the Thanksgiving party in my Hallowe'en costume. (Interestingly, my ideal costume does involve writing, so there's that...)

See you tomorrow!

~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You are my hero. That reminds me, I need to go blog. Or should I say, blo. (That's a really disturbing abbreviation, by the way.)

    I promise to read all of your November posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love being a hero!

    Yeah, I'm not too fond of that abbreviation either.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.