Saturday, November 20, 2010

Real smooth

I once said this will never be a cooking/foodie blog — there are people out there doing a far better job at that than I ever could.

Related side note: Evidently this was Pie Week at Pioneer Woman's site. And this seems like a good time to tell you a pie-related Thanksgiving secret: I don't make pie for Thanksgiving. I make pumpkin cheesecake. You're welcome, and I'm sorry.

Even so, I want to share my smoothie recipe with you. This is a quick, easy way to get several servings of fruit and vegetables into you (or your spouse, or your kids...).

And it will make you feel like Popeye.

He eats spinach, yet claims to be a sweet potato.
For those who believe you are what you eat, this is puzzling.
You: Does that mean there's... spinach... in it?!
Me: Yes it does.
You: [running away]
Me: [grabbing you by the collar] Wait! Try this once. Just once is all I ask. Don't be scared.

~~~~~

Popeye Smoothie

1 c. yogurt (flavored or plain)
1 c. frozen blueberries or strawberries
2 handfuls fresh spinach leaves*
1 banana
¾ c. V8 V-Fusion juice**

Toss all ingredients in a blender and blend until everything's pretty well liquified. Pour into a glass and enjoy.

*You can start with one handful if you're unsure of the whole spinach-smoothie thing, but don't leave it out altogether or it won't be a Popeye Smoothie.
**The Pomegranate Blueberry conceals the color of the spinach best. I also like the Açai Mixed Berry.

~~~~~

Final note: after drinking your Popeye Smoothie, you'll want to do a tooth check. Those tiny bits of spinach have a way of finding every crevice.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.