Friday, December 03, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 20



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


Happy Friday, friends! It's a winter wonderland in my part of the world, and the blog has a snowy new look to celebrate. Heads up — a snowball is headed your way!


---1---

After seeing yesterday's Hanukkah post, my son sent me this video, which tells the Hanukkah story in reggae/rap form. With skating.

It's like Maccabees on Ice, rasta-style:



---2---

The weekend before Thanksgiving, I finished up my fifth addictions course. If you're new to this blog, I've written about this pursuit here (and here, and here, and here... and a few other places... evidently it's been a big part of my life). One more class and a practicum, and I'll finish this certificate and can move on... to another degree. (Yes, it's occurred to me I may have somewhat of a slight addiction myself. Sadly, learning more about it just exacerbates the condition.)

But in order to get to that phase, I need to study for (and take) the GRE. I'll be doing that in the next few weeks. And now you know why the GRE prep manuals show up in my "now reading" list in the sidebar.

---3---

Published a couple of weeks ago on The Atlantic's Tumblr:

The Periodic Table of Rejected Elements
[Michael Gerber and Jonathan Schwarz, The Atlantic, August 1999]
 
---4---

On a more serious note, Wednesday marked the 55th anniversary of the day Rosa Parks took a stand by keeping her seat. The linked article includes audio from an interview with Mrs. Parks. For me, listening to her tell her story put a human face on what can sometimes seem like a distant event.

---5---

It turns out our efforts to "raise awareness of breast cancer" do not need to be limited to wearing and buying pink things during October. Who knew?

(In all seriousness, there are some really great ideas here.)

---6---

For those who enjoy the satirical blog Catalog Living, here's a look at how it got its start and an exclusive holiday post on the parenting site Babble.

That Gary and Elaine really know how to deck the halls.

---7---

And finally, an awesome Time Warp video:



A water balloon is what a snowball wants to be when it grows up.

~~~~~

1 comment:

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.