Friday, December 17, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 22



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


During this final week of Christmas preparations, today's 7 quick takes are all about gifts of one sort or another. Make yourself a nice cup of cocoa (with lots of mini-marshmallows) and enjoy!


---1---

All I want for Christmas:

from Kate Spade, via Elizabeth at Things Bright

---2---

If you're bored with your board games, you need the Boardgame Remix Kit, available in book and ebook forms, as well as a deck of cards and a mobile app.

A triple-word score on Park Place with a candlestick?

---3---

As I was leaving the Y the other night, the facility's Christmas tree caught my eye. It was artfully draped with donated scarves and hats; a sign on the tree explained the cold-weather gear would be given to those who were in need.

Underneath the tree were several sweatshirts, neatly folded. As I looked at the sweatshirts, I noticed the tree skirt they sat on was decorated with a nativity scene made of felt.

It was a beautiful and heartwarming display.

Except... well... maybe it's petty, but I just wish the fabric used for the faces of the Holy Family was a little more middle-Eastern, and a little less sunburned-Norwegian. But that's probably just me.

---4---

Speaking of nativity scenes, my friend Katrina writes about her kids' mischievous rearrangements of her favorite nativity set... and she documents their mischief with pictures.

---5---

Last weekend, we attended a Christmas party — the kind where everyone brings an appetizer and a white elephant gift.

I was responsible for the appetizer (pesto-stuffed mushrooms, just like I made for Thanksgiving).

My husband took charge of the gift:


The mushrooms were a big hit. (Though not quite as big as Gloria Gaither's hair.)

---6---

If Santa's delivering a bike to someone in your household this year, you'll want a helmet to go with it. (That should be the next in the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie series. "If you give a kid a bicycle, s/he's going to want a helmet...")

Here's a What You Ought to Know about the difference between cheap helmets and expensive ones. (Those Brothers Winn are just like Consumer Reports, except... not.)




---7---

And finally, a Christmas gift from me to you — The Princess Bride meets Star Wars:



Womp rats of unusual size? I don't think they exist.


Happy Friday, friends! And happy final-week-of-Advent!

~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the cards. :) I love the video! :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.