Friday, December 31, 2010

7 Quick Takes: Volume 23



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


Happy Friday and Happy New Year, friends!


---1---

In the Wish I'd Thought of That category:


---2---

A quotable post-Christmas reflection: "I’m torn. The philosophical side of me sniffs and dismisses toys and gifts, the side that tries to ponder upon loftier things. The six-year-old poor girl in me wants the Hollywood stage set Christmas and the IT doll wrapped in shiny foil paper and a sparkly bow. And a pretty red velvet dress. And those sides are like two siblings in the backseat of a car on a trip to eternity, slap fighting the whole way." Antique Mommy, from Giftmas or Christmas or Both.

---3---

You can always rely on Relevant Magazine for a different perspective. In What Christmas Says About America, Elizabeth Korver-Glenn reflects on Isaiah 11 and how our treatment of the Christmas holiday can speak to those from other cultures.

---4---

Also just posted on Relevant is a great article by Rachel Held Evans on making less boring New Year's resolutions.

Evans is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. She's the author of Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions.

For her second book, she's committed to a theme of a year of biblical womanhood. And, if her blog entries on the process are any indication, it will probably be different from anything that phrase brings to mind.

She's written some incredibly gutsy articles. Here's her list of her blog's most read/retweeted/shared posts of the year.

---5---

Yes, I've added Rachel Held Evans's first book to my ever-growing reading list.

You might recall that at the beginning of December, I committed to reading and reviewing three books this month. And reading back through the month's posts, you'll count exactly zero book reviews. Yay me.

However... I have one review that's nearly ready to post, and will be up on the blog the first week of the year. And two more will follow later in January.

---6---

Speaking of reading... a few weeks ago, I ordered a pair of glasses. Reading glasses.

I've known this day was coming. Despite having close to 20/20 vision for nearly nine years, my vision continues to change, albeit slightly, every year. And preparing to tackle serious amounts of studying in the fall means, among other things, making sure my eyes can handle long periods of reading.

But it's been many years since I was a glasses-wearer. Before the LASIK, I wore contacts. Glasses were relegated to first-thing-in-the-morning and last-thing-at-night, and occasional giving-my-eyes-a-break days. Since the LASIK, it's been no glasses (and no contacts) ever. Other than sunglasses. And even sunglasses with a slight prescription didn't make me feel like I was wearing, you know, glasses.

But now, before settling in for a long read, I get out the glasses. And I feel really weird and extra-dorky. And not in a good way.

I'm trying to embrace my inner Ingrid Michaelson.

---7---

But enough about me. What about you? What are you doing New Year's Eve?



~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. I think reading glasses super cool/sexy. They aren't dorky at all!

    Thanks for recommending Rachel Evans -I'm headed over to her blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R: you'll enjoy Rachel Held Evans -- she's very thought-provoking! I'd love to hear what you think of her work.

    Yeah, I know the glasses thing is just me. Mine are very cool... but I still feel like a dork when I wear them. :/

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.