Friday, January 28, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 27



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


---1---

Grad school reference alert! If you're getting sick of these, now's the time to bail. Just skip right to take #2. I won't be offended. Much.

This week, the time and headspace I usually devote to blogwriting has been co-opted by a different kind of writing project. As part of the grad school application process, I've had to write an autobiographical piece about my goals as they relate to the program I'm applying for, and the "life experiences that might be useful in your work as a helping professional."

Yikes.

As I write, I keep thinking, If I were blogging this, it would be a whole lot easier.

---2---

A new take on a classic fairy tale:




---3---

Several blogs in my regular reading rotation have great things to say this week.

First, my friend R. ponders the topic of masculinity, and wonders why people malign Mr. Rogers.

---4---

My friend Suzanne writes eloquently on what it's like to be an atypical woman in the pew.

---5---

On a related note... spurred by Amy Chua's controversial piece Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior (and the ensuing reaction), Rachel Held Evans posits a theory:
I suspect that like a lot of things, the tendency to fundamentalize motherhood springs from insecurities. We are blessed to live in a culture where women have a lot of options, but sometimes a lot of options can be paralyzing, and the quickest way to feel better about the decisions you’ve made is to look down your nose at someone else’s.
---6---

And just in time for Super Bowl, Her.meneutics talks about the other thing that comes to town for the big game: trafficking. Difficult, but important reading.

---7---

And finally, just in case you missed this one:



Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.