Friday, February 04, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 28



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


This week's 7 Quick Takes are all about making new friends and keeping the old. (Thank you, Girl Scouts of America. Your cookies last but a moment, but your songs last forever.)


---1---

I've made a new blog discovery: smart and articulate, Sarah writes thought-provoking and artfully crafted posts about parenting, faith, and social justice at Emerging Mummy. (Her blog's name has nothing to do with some B-movie from the 1950s. She's a female parent and a Canadian — that explains the "mummy" part. And she explains the "emerging" part at the bottom of this post.)

---2---

Speaking of moms who write about social justice issues, it's been a while since I last mentioned Elizabeth's blog, Things Bright. Her posts describe her life as a mother, a crafter, and an activist. (And by "activist," I mean "someone who is actually working to end an injustice.")

Here's a recent post reflecting the last item on that list — including a don't-miss clip from The Colbert Report!

---3---

It's also been a while (more than two weeks!) since I've linked to a favorite Stuff Christians Like post. It's time.

Jon Acuff recently wrote on creating your own "Love Languages." It's brilliant. And I'm not saying that just because my own special love language (which I prefer to think of as a spiritual gift, really) is listed there.

---4---

I learned from a friend that yesterday began the Year of the Cat in the Vietnamese zodiac, which of course made me think of this song:



---5---

My friend Page Turner (not her real name, but isn't that a great nom de plume for an avid reader?) recently reviewed the book Les Misérables on her blog Lines from the Page. (You might remember I posted on the book and the musical a few months back.)

Page's review is excellent, and challenges a widely-held view on the book's central theme. It's a thought-provoking review, and even more impressive because she read the mammoth tome in a mere 28 days.

---6---

In related news, later this month my husband and I will be seeing the musical Les Misérables in Chicago. This trip was our Christmas gift to each other, and came about because of the research I did for the post I wrote in November.

---7---

And just for giggles:




In case you've missed it, here's the (extremely catchy) song being spoofed in the above video:




Yes, extremely catchy. You might want to scroll back up to take #4 and play The Year of the Cat again just to make sure you don't go to your next important meeting sounding like the animated guy in the "song pitch" video.

As for me, after watching this a couple of times, I'm giving serious thought to using Willow Smith's painting technique on my living room walls.

Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Funny! Enjoyed your Friday wrapup. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzie! You too! :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.