Friday, February 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 29



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


---1---

We begin today's 7 Quick Takes with a video that explains the difference between England, Britain, the U.K. and much more:


The United Kingdom Explained from C. G. P. Grey on Vimeo.

---2---

After watching that video, I don't know if I'm better informed or more confused. Which brings to mind a favorite quote:

“Before I came here, I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture, I am still confused – but on a higher level.” — Enrico Fermi

---3---

In anticipation of Valentine's Day, here's a lovely post from Cake Wrecks.

---4---

Yesterday, I posted on the tendency we have (OK, I have) to limit ourselves (myself) to one viewpoint when we (I) read.

While I was looking for an image to capture that idea, I ran across this on Geekologie:


The Cave, by Sakura Adachi, Yanko Designs

I think this design is really cool, but something was nagging at me about the shape of the seating area. I just now figured out what it reminds me of:


What, you don't see it? OK, try this: cover the right half of the illustration.

There it is.

---5---

Though I am not from the South myself (the Southwest doesn't really count as the South... except for Texas, which is somehow both), I thoroughly enjoy the wit and wisdom of several Southern bloggers.

One of these is Crazy Aunt Purl, who can even find a lesson in a trip to the grocery store. And then tell the story as only a Southerner can.

---6---

Speaking of trying to make a good decision in the grocery store...

Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness
The other day, I was out running errands between a class at school and another class at the Y. It was late afternoon and my energy was flagging, and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it through my workout without some nutritional help.

If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have packed an apple and a handful of peanuts. If I'd been home, I might have whipped up a Popeye Smoothie.

Well, I hadn't thought ahead, and I wasn't anywhere near home, but I was near a big grocery store, so I went in looking for something healthy. I tried this stuff, and it is amazing. A little pricey, maybe — though no worse than a latté (which might have been my selection if the afternoon's plans had included a comfy chair and a book rather than a pool and a yoga mat) — but really tasty and full of good things, including "phytonutrients" (whatever they are).

With this stuff and a few roasted almonds, my energy rebounded strong enough to get me through an extra-long workout.

(This is not a paid testimonial for Bolthouse Farms or Green Goodness. Bolthouse Farms doesn't know me from Adam. Or Eve. But if they would like to send me a case or two of their product, I would be happy to accept it.)

---7---

And while we're on the subject of good grocery store decisions...

When I walked into the store that day, I forgot to take my canvas bags with me.




Now, if you go to the grocery store this weekend, maybe you'll do better than I did.

Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Love the Little Prince reference and love Tim Minchin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I loved "Canvas Bags" so much I shared it with two friends. :)

    Also, that video about the UK WAS super helpful, and interesting, to boot. I'm going to share that one as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.