Friday, March 04, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 32



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


ATTENTION: Important news about Les Misérables contained in take #7!


Today, apparently, we're mostly talking about food. Enjoy, and Happy Friday!


---1---

So last week, I talked at length mentioned our trip to Chicago.

Before we left the city, we stopped in at Au Bon Pain for coffee and sandwiches to take on the train. And I know you don't read this blog to hear what I had for dinner on a given evening, but let me just say: snow peas on a sandwich are a revelation.

Farmers' market season cannot come soon enough.

---2---

One funny thing about Au Bon Pain: they have several southwestern-sounding menu items (I'm an Arizonan — I notice these things), but no locations in the southwest. Hm.

They also have no locations in my area — but then the menu didn't include any sandwiches called The Grand Rapidian or The Amway or even La Grande Vitesse.

---3---

I've just discovered food columnist Mark Bittman. His work is a rare combination of social awareness and culinary goodness. How have I missed him all this time?

Here are a couple of video posts from his blog where he's cooking on the Today show:


He's also authored several cookbooks, which would look even better to me if I used cookbooks.

---4---

Speaking of cookbooks... this book recently came to my attention via my Biola Alumni magazine:

Don't worry, friends — it's completely tongue-in-cheek.
No imaginary animals were harmed in the writing of this cookbook.

---5---

This video will make you want to bake bread (or take up the accordion):



In fact, Mark Bittman wrote an article that talks about the same slow-rise process as is featured in the above video.

---6---

Can you handle one more recipe site in this post? Smitten Kitchen is another new discovery. I haven't tried any of her recipes yet, but the writing is fun and the photography is beautiful. The site's tagline is Fearless cooking from a tiny kitchen in New York City, but it's so much more.

---7---

Now, if my incessant blathering about Les Misérables has worked its magic (by which I mean, has made you want to see the musical), but your circumstances (by which I mean, location and/or budget) have conspired to keep you from the show, I have great news: PBS is airing the Les Misérables 25th Anniversary Concert this Sunday!

What a perfect way to cap off the weekend!

~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know about Les Mis--not sure if we have the station or not, but I'll check. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Mark Bittman. His cookbooks, "How to Cook Everything" and "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" are fabulous. I highly recommend them. Also, I really enjoyed his book "Food Matters".

    His list, "Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals to Make in 10 Minutes or Less" is my go to summer foods list
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18mini.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. R, your blog was actually the way I connected to Mark Bittman's stuff -- as well as Smitten Kitchen! So, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I just read Mark Bittman's blog this week, and baked the slow-rise bread yesterday. Wasn't great, but I blame that on a 25 hour first rise, and no second rise. Among other circumstances (like my kittens getting into the dough).

    But what a coincidence! And I'm thrilled with the recipe - got another batch rising...gonna do it right this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janelle, that IS a weird coincidence! I'm tempted to make a very dark joke about kittens in the bread dough, but I'll restrain myself.

    Let me know how the bread turns out!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.