Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Comparison

If you ever come to my house and look in my pantry, you'll see I'm well stocked with a certain product that bears my name.

So well stocked, in fact, you'd think I owned the company.

Right now, there are five cans of Pam in my pantry. Five. Because you need the original, and the olive oil, and the kind for grilling... and a couple of backups for when the current cans run out.

But as you probably know, like the person whose name it bears, that product is not without its flaws.

One flaw is the fact that it's aerosol (sorry, environment). Another is that the overspray residue bakes on and fuses to cookware in a process called polymerization.

Impressed? Don't be. I learned it here, from Heather Solos.

After she explains how that goo gets there, Heather gives some ideas on how to get rid of it (and when to leave it alone).

But my favorite part about that post is the way she ends it:

Want to take a guess as to the fix?

Quit trying to keep up with Rachel Ray, Ina Garten, and Paula Deen. Yes, they are all good cooks. Yes, they all have beautiful kitchens, but here’s the thing. That kitchen is a TV set, not reality. That gorgeous cookware is replaced as soon as it shows the the slightest sign of wear. Companies send them cookware to feature. What you see is not receiving daily use by people with better things to do than perform upkeep on their tools.

I don’t have a crew, do you?
Hmm. Stop comparing yourself to people who have a crew to help them look perfect.

It's quite possible this advice might have applications outside the kitchen.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.