Monday, March 07, 2011

Music for a Monday: When David Heard

Today I'd like to feature another piece from the February concert of the community choir I sing with.

An ensemble drawn from the larger group performed four pieces, including this one.

~~~~~

Using a recording by The Cambridge Singers, this video sets the music with a slideshow that combines classic artwork depicting King David with contemporary photographs of parents grieving the loss of sons and daughters in wars and other conflicts. The slideshow is hard to watch at times, but captures the universality of parental grief.


When David Heard
Thomas Tomkins (1573-1656)



The text is taken from 2 Samuel 18:33:

When David heard that Absalom was slain
He went up into his chamber over the gate and wept,
And thus he said:
My son Absalom
O Absalom my son,
Would God I had died for thee.


~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.