Friday, May 20, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 42



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


~~~~~

For the next few weeks, my class schedule is going to be a little heavy... so the blogging will be light. Bear with me — I'll be back on track soon with the random assortment of controversy and weirdness you've come to expect.

In the meantime, we have 7 Quick Takes for your Friday enjoyment:

---1---

In this week's episode of Adventures in Academia... last weekend my friend Amber crossed the stage at Eastern University and received her diploma in Community and Clinical Counseling. Congrats, Amber!

Even though it's only been three years since I made the journey of hoods-and-handshakes across the stage, I'd somehow forgotten the odd, druid-like robes worn by master's degree recipients... until I looked at Amber's graduation pictures.

Compare the middle gown to the other two and you'll see what I mean:

Seriously, what's with the sleeves on the master's gown?
They're like pockets... one for your phone, and one for a travel pack of Kleenex in case you get teary...

---2---

While I was looking for pictures of the master's gown, I ran across the blog of a woman who draws paper dolls and outfits for them, including one celebrating her master's degree:

from Liana's Paper Doll Blog

(Liana's work is great, but if you're wondering who looks this shapely in their cap and gown, the answer is nobody. The real gown is a shapeless black sack with a zipper. And druid sleeves.)

---3---

Last week, I mentioned the handmade Mothers' Day accessories one misses out on when one's offspring is old enough to graduate from college. But so that those who did receive lovely handmade accessories of the yarn-and-pasta or shoelace-and-bottlecap variety don't feel too sorry for me, here's my Mothers' Day gift:

"Good for
1 lunch/brunch
1 flat of annuals
Many hours of labor
in yon garden."

---4---

Once again, the NPR blog Krulwich Wonders amazes: check out this completely cool pendulum video.

---5---

So, according to some, tomorrow is supposed to be Judgment Day.

I mentioned my thoughts on this prediction back in January, so I won't repeat them here. Besides, plenty of others have weighed in on it. (I appreciated Jason Boyett's article in Relevant.)

But no-one's written on it quite like my friend Sam Carbaugh, in his journal comic.

---6---

Boba Fett. Accordion. Zelda theme. Could it get any geekier?



---7---

And while we're on the subject of people's weird tricks at public transportation stations:




Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.