Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Too young

Several weeks ago, I wrote a post on gynecological fistula, a women's health issue specific to very young brides with no access to obstetric care.

Today, NPR featured an interview with Cynthia Gorney and Stephanie Sinclair, the reporter and the photographer behind the June National Geographic piece Too Young to Wed: The Secret World of Child Brides.

photo: Stephanie Sinclair/National Geographic

Reading the article, listening to the interview, looking at the pictures of little girls with sad eyes... it's heartwrenching.

These are the moments when my desire to respect the practices of other cultures abandons me. At some point, cultural practices become human rights violations.

I'm not sure what I can do about this injustice being perpetrated on my young sisters in other parts of the globe. But I know I can't close my eyes to it anymore.

~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. I saw that, too. So sad. And it's an issue that very much overlaps with human trafficking. I'd start with the list of organizations linked to at the bottom of the article. Keep pursuing it!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.