Friday, July 08, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 43



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


~~~~~

With the Summer Term of Craziness behind me, I'm ready to get back into a blogging routine for a few weeks. (At this point, longtime readers will be scratching their heads in puzzlement, as there has never been much of a routine to this blog.)

But, onward!

---1---

This week's episode of 7 Quick Takes is brought to you by multitasking:

by Jessica Hagy of Indexed

---2---

Tuesday, I took a walk through the neighborhood.

This doesn't sound like such a huge thing, but it's my first such walk in a few months. I injured my knee in April ("injured" sounds so much better than "hurt" — as if it happened during my pro football days...). Then my class schedule in May and June pushed all fitness pursuits to the back burner. The way back burner. Right off the stove, really.

But an Important Family Event is coming up in just a few months... one involving a photographer, and extended family I rarely see. And that, friends, is a formula for motivation.

---3---

I figured everyone knew about this duo, since they won a Grammy for Best Album in 2009. But when I mentioned the pairup to my husband and son, separately, they both had the same incredulous reaction:

"Robert Plant and Alison Krauss?!!"

Yes. Old-school rock and roll meets bluegrass. The combination is brilliant. Somehow both their styles come through. And Plant's voice still sounds great.

Check out their cover of the old Everly Brothers tune "Gone, Gone, Gone."

---4---

In the process of shopping online for an outfit for the aforementioned Important Family Event, I'm noticing quite a few items that have "crocheted" as part of the description. Many are not actually crocheted, but machine-made lace. But some are truly crocheted.

It's more than a pedantic distinction. Crochet can only be done by hand, and it's time-consuming. Ever since reading Elizabeth's post on the subject, I can't look at a $20 crocheted sweater the same way.

---5---

But speaking of online/catalog shopping... it's been a while since I featured a post from Catalog Living. This one made me chuckle.

---6---

NPR just ran a series called I Was Absent That Day, based on the stuff people probably should have known, but just recently figured out. They posted a request on their Facebook page asking fans to tell them about "something you were embarrassed to learn as an adult that you should have learned much earlier."

One reader responded, "I was so pleased when I found out that guerrilla warfare is not gorilla warfare. I thought it was so cruel to make gorillas fight in our wars."

---7---

To end on a light note, here's a great quote from Sophie, a.k.a. BooMama: "...sometimes shopping at Kohl’s stresses me out because there’s the “retail” price and then the sale price and then the Power Price and then the extra 10% off that you get if you stand in front of a cashier and do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself around."

If I happen to find an outfit for the Important Family Event there, I might just try that.


Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. No. 6 cracked me up so much I had to cut and paste it in an email to my best friend.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.