Friday, September 02, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 50



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


This week, 7 Quick Takes is set on "extra-random." I'm working on a couple of posts that are kicking my tail, and...

---1---

What?! School starts next week??!!!

Melonhead. HT: Bryan Lopez

---2---

Yes, it's true. I had a little break from the books, during which I did a lot of reading. (In my world, that makes total sense.)

But now, break's over and it's back-to-school time. I'm not completely sure, but I think this year I'm in twenty-first grade...

"As I prepare to enter the twenty-first grade, I still have wildly idealized notions of what each coming school year will bring."
Back to School, by Grant Snider of Incidental Comics

---3---

...so I guess I probably should have used my break to work up a really great logo.

Instead, I hosted a wedding shower for my son and his fiancée. (Totally worth it.)

At one point, there were 20 people in my kitchen. I do not have a 20-person kitchen. Still, it somehow worked... we made paninis and everyone had a good time.

I made the decadent little morsels shown below, and my son's fiancée's mom* garnished each with a heart-shaped slice of strawberry. (Awwww...)

Truffle Brownie Cups. (photo: Culinary Collie Sue)

They disappeared fast. I should have made a double batch.

* If anyone knows of a better way to describe the relationship between two parents that bookend a marrying/married couple, please let me know. Maybe something in another language. English doesn't seem to have a word for it.

---4---

Sometimes, I wish I lived in Paris. (That wish is intensified when I watch movies like Julie & Julia.) But after reading about the Paris Post-It war, I really wish I lived there:

Hmmm... wonder what's happening on those monitors. (from postitwar.com)

The only videogame I've ever been any good at. (from postitwar.com)

---5---

In garden news, the eggplants are doing well this year... though they're not quite galloping in herds:

Eggplant Zebra. HT: Bryan Lopez

---6---

To honor Steve Jobs' recent retirement, we have this little film of Jobs introducing the Macintosh in 1984:




---7---

My friend Elizabeth recently wrote, "...the more you do that’s bloggable, the less time you have to blog."

She makes a good point. I'm not sure what that means for this blog, but if you check back here in a few days (or weeks) and find nothing but chirping crickets, it might be a sign I'm busy doing other stuff... like my homework.

Or it might mean I have nothing to write about. Though, by the looks of some of my posts, that hasn't stopped me yet.


Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.