Friday, September 23, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Volume 52



The idea of 7 Quick Takes Friday comes from blogger Jennifer Fulwiler, who hosts it weekly at her site, Conversion Diary.


If you partnered with this week's 7 Quick Takes for a game of Trivial Pursuit, your team would be the first to win the little brown wedge.

---1---

Shel Silverstein's family has published a book of his previously-unpublished poems. Here's the feature from NPR, which includes audio of some of the poems being read aloud. Fun.


---2---

Mondegreen alert!

Last night, I was driving home from class, and Aerosmith's Dream On came on the radio. It had been a while since I'd heard the song, so I cranked up the volume and started reflecting on how much more I can relate to the first verse than I could when the song came out. (I was in elementary school. What did I know about lines on my face?)

And then it got to the chorus, and I (uncharacteristically) stopped singing along... just in time to hear "Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away..."

Wait... what?

I always thought it was "Maybe tomorrow, the guitar will take you away..."

OK, it makes a lot more sense now.

---3---

Speaking of classic rock, here's some breaking news:



Posted on All Access Music Group's website yesterday:

Queen drummer Roger Taylor offered singers the chance to upload a video to QUEENEXTRAVAGANZA for "a chance to be a rock star" in celebration of the band's 40th anniversary, according to the website Hypervocal. 
Downhere vocalist Marc Martel took up the challenge. His video jumped from 127,000 views this morning (9/22) to over 277,000 this afternoon. Hypervocal is touting Martel as Freddie Mercury reincarnated: "It's safe to say that the contest is over."

---4---

Speaking of Freddie Mercury, did you happen to see the Google doodle tribute on his 65th birthday a few weeks ago? It was, like the man himself, pretty incredible.

---5---

Lately I'm spending a lot of time in the car. When I'm not listening to classic rock (and hearing lyrics as if for the first time), I'm working my way through Pimsleur language CDs. There's a lot of escuche y repita going on during that long, long drive to and from classes.

But evidently my mind isn't satisfied with the disconnected little snippets of conversación provided on the CDs, and I find myself making up stories about the relationships between the speakers to fill in the blanks. (The CDs are giving me some pretty great material to start with: "I don't like Carlos." "Why not?" "He has too much money.")

I'm thinking about occasionally watching a telenovela to build my comprehension. I wonder how it will compare to the drama, intrigue, and resentment on the CDs...

---6---

Did you know your Captcha keystrokes are helping to digitize books? (This video makes me happy on so many levels.)




---7---

One last thing: ArtPrize is back! And there's another mosaic by Tracy Van Duinen!

Metaphorest, by Tracy Van Duinen


Happy Friday, friends!

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the blog's author prior to publication.